Curried Sweet Potato & Spinach Over Quinoa
My sister and I went to Penzeys Spices, and I managed to refrain from buying anything. This, of course, was after smelling almost everything in the place. Can you get a contact high from sniffing too much curry powder or cinnamon? I might have. I may or may not have walked around with a few jars of this or that [parsley, cocoa, among other things] only to put it back at the last minute. I didn’t need it. I have such willpower!
Then I went home and killed off the last of my curry powder, and kicked myself for not buying more.
Story of my life!
It was worth it, though. There is absolutely no reason to not love this dish. Unless, of course, you’re a sweet potato hater. I will never understand those of you who hate them. They’re just so…awesome.
While you’re at it, check out the rest of Happyolks‘ stuff. I’ve fallen in love.
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil [they used ghee, and I wished I would have]
- Large handful [or two!] of spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup currants
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 475º.
- Scrub potatoes and cut into 1″ cubes. Leave that skin on!
- Toss them with a little bit of olive oil and salt and arrange on a baking sheet lined with a silpat [or parchment/aluminum foil or don’t.It’s not me doing the dishes!]
- Rinse and strain the quinoa before adding it to a saucepan with two cups of water.
- Bring the pot to a boil, and cook for 12-15 minutes until all of the water has absorbed. Remove it from the heat.
- Heat the oil [or ghee] in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook until softened.
- Add the garlic and ginger, and cook a few minutes more until fragrant.
- Add the sweet potatoes, broth, and curry powder. Stir to coat.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes, adding some salt to taste.
- Finally, add the chopped spinach and stir until wilted.
- Serve over quinoa.