Lentils Martinique (Crock Pot)
Now that the
cold sinus thing stuffy nose is mostly gone, I’m finally back on a workout kick. I was definitely going through withdrawals. The weather has been less than pleasant so even the walks at lunch have been out. Drowned rat is a good look, no? I even missed the gym the other day. I haven’t been since my membership lapsed in June, and it took until now to miss it a little bit.
I’ve still been hooked to Bodyrock. 12-15 minute workouts where I’m super sweaty, tired, and/or want to die are my jam. It hurts so good.
The stormy weather made me bring out the crock pot, too. I’ve had Allie’s recipe for Lentils Martinique bookmarked for awhile, waiting until Andrew was out of town again to try it out. It was supposed to be 100% vegan, but I bought chicken broth out of habit. It yields a lot of ridiculously healthy food. I ate it for dinner, lunch twice, breakfast (sorta) twice, and Roma even got some on occasion. That left 1-2 more portions, but I didn’t freeze it.
The flavor is slightly sweet, and stew-like. The texture is thick and creamy, and at 18g of protein and 17g of fiber per serving (assuming 6 servings) for under 300 calories? That’s pretty awesome. It kept me full for awhile, no doubt about it. I’m a little jealous because Allie was able to get all the ingredients for $5.50. Thanks to New Seasons, it was closer to $12 for me. It’s still cheap in the world of price per serving.
Inspiration: Forgotten Beast
- 1lb of lentils, picked through to toss out any gross ones
- 10oz bag of frozen, chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 8oz can crushed pineapple
- 15oz can lite coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 1/2 cups of broth
- Toss everything in the crock pot except for the spinach and pineapple.
- Stir well.
- Turn crock pot on low for 8-9 hours or high for 4-5.
- After the cook time, stir in the spinach and pineapple.
- Serve [it’s actually good cold, too].