My grandma loaded me up with more veggies, fresh and canned. So psyched. I didn’t get a chance to peek in the box of canned stuff, but I did get another zucchini, yellow squash, and peas.
I definitely love peas. I’ve been known to snack on them, frozen, straight from the bag. I’ve occasionally gotten cravings so hard that I’ll just open up a can of them and eat them. Yep, I’m classy like that. I decided to step it up a notch with some “cheezy” sauce [because I’m pretty sure a photograph of plain peas is just…boring].
Now if you don’t love peas, then you won’t love this. Just throwin’ it out there. I know it isn’t for everyone. That means there is more for me.
Inspiration: Oh She Glows
- 1 1/2 cups peas [if they’re frozen, thaw them out]
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 7 tablespoons almond milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons Smart Balance [or butter of choice]
- 1/2 tablespoon spelt flour
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- pinch of garlic powder
- pinch of onion powder
- handful of daiya mozzarella
- In a saucepan on medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the flour and milk and whisk until the flour is incorporated.
- Add the nutritional yeast and mix thoroughly.
- Add your seasonings and taste.
- Add the peas and onions while the sauce thickens.
- Turn the broiler on high.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese into the bottom of an oven proof bowl.
- When the sauce is the desire consistency, pour the contents over the top of the cheese.
- Top with more cheese.
- Place in the oven for 3-5 minutes until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese is melted.
- Try not to burn yourself when eating it. This stuff gets hot.