Okay, you’re going to hate me for this. But this is some of the best potato salad ever. And we all know why…mayo and bacon grease have their place. I won’t deny them a place. Yeah, I’m not going to be bathing in the stuff, but in a delicious potato salad? It’s totally fine. I might have licked the bowls. I might have licked the spoon. And I sure as hell might have felt awesome as it was devoured in a hurry at a friend’s house. I’m not ashamed. My ego liked it.
Andrew even asked for a never ending bowl of it to be in the fridge always.
I think what I love about it
more than the bacon and mayo is the fact that it basically a beautiful marriage of potato salad and egg salad.
And now I have a jar of mayonnaise sitting in my fridge. I specifically went to the store to buy it. That’s just how dedicated I was to this salad. Did you know they make safflower mayo now? I’m so behind the mayo times.
- 2lbs yukon gold potatoes, cubed[or red, but the produce guy was in my way and far too intent on finishing]
- 10 slices of bacon
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3/4 green bell pepper, diced
- Boil the potatoes until they are tender. Drain them and set them aside.
- Cook the bacon until crispy, and remove from skillet to drain on a paper towel.
- In the same skillet, remove all but 2 tablespoons of the grease.
- Add in the mayo, mustard, sugar, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Eat some. Quality control.
- Revel in the silky, salty flavor.
- In a large bowl combine the potatoes, egg, onion, and green pepper.
- Pour in the dressing and mix thoroughly.
- Crumble the bacon over the top of the salad and combine.
- Put in the fridge for as long as you can [2 hours minimum]. While it’s awesome straight away, it’s even more glorious after it’s cold.