This is what happens when it’s nice out. I avoid the gym [on the last day before it closes for remodel], head outside, and walk to Whole Foods to attack their salad bar. Salad bars are scary places for me because I can eat a lot and I love salad. Plus WF likes to carry all kinds of cool things so it’s easy to increase weight without even trying. Surprisingly, I kept it to $5. I don’t know how, but I did. Goodies include: spinach, chickpeas, shredded carrots, shredded beats, red cabbage, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, spicy hummus, roasted sweet potatoes, artichoke hearts and black quinoa. Uhh…heaven? I also picked up the blueberry almond milk yogurt, which might be better than the cherry. Maybe. I refrained from stopping into Courier coffee. It took almost all my willpower. Iced coffee on a day like today? Heaven.
I embraced my inner geek and saw the new X-Men last night. Decent. I cannot take Kevin Bacon seriously, though.
Want to see my breakfast/snacks as of late?
You can thank me later. These are decadent little mini cinnamon rolls. Mini as in two bites. Maybe three. Or savor them by pulling them apart layer by layer, finding the hidden gems of chocolate within. They’re pretty awesome. I made them the other night at 10pm [naturally--when do YOU bake?] after taking Roma out and realizing it smelled like October. Newsflash Portland weather, it’s June. Granted it is nice today, and we really don’t get summer weather until July anyway.
The original recipe makes 24 of these little guys. I clearly didn’t listen to instructions, and rolled it out more square than long skinny rectangle. This yielded 8 rolls. Perfect for me, really. You can do as you wish. Who am I to stop you?
Inspiration: (never home)maker
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance [or butter, you crazy thing you]
- 1/3 cup soy milk [I ended up needing an additional tablespoon]
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven 400º and spray your muffin tins took keep stuff from sticking…unless you’re into that.
- In the bowl of your mixer, whisk together the flour, tablespoon of brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in the Earth Balance so it’s nice and crumbly.
- Add the almond milk and mix together until a soft dough forms [here is where I needed the extra tablespoon].
- Chop the chocolate into smaller pieces [I used the Magic Bullet].
- Mix the chocolate pieces with the cinnamon, brown sugar, and coconut oil [Again, I was lazy with the Magic Bullet].
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle of the size of your desire. Mine was a little smaller the size of a cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle the chocolate sugar mixture onto the dough.
- Roll it up.
- Cut it into equal slices.
- Place them individually into the muffin tin cups.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes [mine were 13].
- Remove from oven and let cool before eating
three of themone.