I finally satisfied my Campari craving.
I just happened to have it with some awesome Italian fare. Naturally. Now if you are not a fan of anchovies, I really wouldn’t use them [duh]. This has some intensely fishy flavor, and I loved it. You could easily go without or substitute in something else you love. It came together quickly, and you really don’t have to go to the trouble of topping with breadcrumbs and Parmesan and baking, but I love the crust that comes from it.
I kept the portions to something reasonable. Two decent portions. Could I have eaten more? Sure. I was doing more P90X later, so I really didn’t need to have a stomach full of angel hair while I did it.
- 5oz angel hair pasta broken in half [it’s more manageable this way, if a bit sacrilegious]
- 1/2 bunch of kale, rinsed and ripped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 slices of bacon
- 1 tin of anchovies
- red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs [homemade!]
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated Parmesan
- 1 garlic clove
- Cook pasta according to directions. Drain and set aside.
- Cook bacon in an oven proof pan [if you plan on baking].
- Once cooked, remove to paper towel, and do not clean out the pan.
- Add kale, garlic clove, and red pepper flake to bacon grease on medium heat.
- Stir to cover kale with bacon grease, and stir occasionally until starting to wilt.
- Add pasta to kale mixture.
- Drain anchovy oil over the top of the pasta mixture.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Top with bacon and anchovies [which I cut in half]. Mix to incorporate.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and Parmesan and toss in the oven with the broiler on high.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes until bread crumbs start to turn dark and toasty.
- Try not to give the other person more bacon and anchovies than you.
- Good luck.